First Silencer Cleaning

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BELTFEEDISBEST
Senior Silent Operator

First Silencer Cleaning

Post by BELTFEEDISBEST »

Well, it has finally come time to clean my Phoenix. I have bought one gallon of kroil from kano labs. I know it will not take that much but better to have it on hand then have to wait, so buy in bulk. Next, I have to go to wally world and pick up something to clean the parts and let the silencer soak in. I just wonder if wally world sells small rubber stoppers so that I can plug the barrel like it says in the manuel. I will keep everybody posted but if Al Paulson recommends it and the manuel calls for kroil then I know it has to work.
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

I found some small rubber stoppers at Lowes in the nuts and bolts section, that I plug barrels with when parkerizing. If not McMaster-Carr has them.
P.S. How do you like the Phoenix? I think they are a hoot!
BELTFEEDISBEST
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BELTFEEDISBEST »

Hey Tonyt,

I have to say I LOVE MY PHOENIX! It is the most fun of any firearm I have and man does it help my poor old ears. I hope I can find some stoppers if not I plan on trying to get something that is tall and somewhat skinny so I can bath the silencer. Talk to you later.
bohica
Silent But Deadly

Post by bohica »

I think the best thing to do is steal a pound cake cooking pan from your wife and soak the suppressor in the solvent. When I am done, I filter the solution so I can reuse it.

I was amazed at the amount of residue that comes out of that thing. Simply amazing.
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

I use a tall thin jar... like the ones Olives come in. After you are done soaking, you can put the top back on.
WLCHARM
Silent But Deadly

Post by WLCHARM »

I was thinking about using some PVC pipe and glueing on a end cap.
Jersey Arms Works
S-701 Avenger
The Other MAC M-10/45!!!!!
bohica
Silent But Deadly

Post by bohica »

You know what. The reason why this is the greatest country in the world is inginuity like that. Great idea. I am hedding out to the shed now.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

WLCHARM wrote:I was thinking about using some PVC pipe and glueing on a end cap.
+1
:lol: and if you l glue on a cap on one end and a threaded collar on the other you can store your solution inside it.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
WLCHARM
Silent But Deadly

Post by WLCHARM »

I was going to make a table top rack to hold it vertical. I was going to make it twice the length of my largest can. Run a stiff wire throw the can for getting it in, out, and agitating it. Having it twice as length you can let it drain and not make a mess.
Jersey Arms Works
S-701 Avenger
BELTFEEDISBEST
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BELTFEEDISBEST »

Oh, how I love this page. I feel smart one day and then feel dumb as a brick the next. And the pvc idea is the s--t! I was using a one quart mason jar, but i will be going to the parts store very very soon. Thanks for the info. "Necessity is the mother of all invention." Bless whoever said that. I'm out.
WLCHARM
Silent But Deadly

Post by WLCHARM »

Now the big Q will Kroil eat PVC or the PVC glue?????
Jersey Arms Works
S-701 Avenger
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

A large glass spaghetti cylinder with lid works well. You can drop your supressor in it with KROIL, then set the whole thing in an ultrasonic, and do some serious cleaning!
BELTFEEDISBEST
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BELTFEEDISBEST »

The manuel said not to use the ultrasonic. Although I plan on getting a better jar to work with soon.
bohica
Silent But Deadly

Post by bohica »

I would avoid the ultrasonic cleaner to. Soaking in your solvent should do the trick for you.

Try a solution of 50% mineral spirits and %50 automatic transmission fluid. It works great and it leaves a very light coat of lubricant on all the surfaces.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

WLCHARM wrote:I was going to make a table top rack to hold it vertical. I was going to make it twice the length of my largest can. Run a stiff wire throw the can for getting it in, out, and agitating it. Having it twice as length you can let it drain and not make a mess.
That's good 8)
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill