New Silencerco, new 22Sparrow take-apart can (vids on p. 2)

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mageever
Silent But Deadly

New Silencerco, new 22Sparrow take-apart can (vids on p. 2)

Post by Mageever »

For all of you waiting for the silencer news from shot show, I've got something fun for you. I was lucky enough to meet someone starting up a new silencer company (oddly enough called Silencerco) and I was able to get one of the first cans produced. The only stocking dealer that I know of is 'Get Some' Guns and Ammo in SLC, UT. I was blown away when I handled this next to other silencers. After hearing it, I really had to have it. Here are some pics and vid of the disassembly...

The core is made of 7075 with a type III hardcoat and it's got a stainless steel insert for the threads. The baffle design is a little HP LLC/green0-ish, but more refined like a cone cross section. This vid is one I took when I first got it so you can hear what it sounds like to pull it apart and put it together again--because precision machine metal on metal sounds soooo good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4mi-cPHY Disclaimer: I'm not a cinematographer. Also, for those familiar with my Form 1 can--no, I did not design or build this can. But I wish I had :wink:
Last edited by Mageever on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

Nice looking can!Hope John Titsworth can meter one of these in the 2009 .22 silencer shoot out!
What is Silencerco msrp for this can?
Last edited by mac man on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCowboyofKhaos
Senior Silent Operator

Post by TheCowboyofKhaos »

How long is it, what does it weight, and suggested retail? Thanks.
JustAnotherName
Silent But Deadly

Post by JustAnotherName »

It looks really nice, But it also looks like a bitch to clean. Can you explain that red "shield" thing for the can. What is it's function and what is it made of of?
I heart waterboarding.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

JustAnotherName wrote:It looks really nice, But it also looks like a bitch to clean. Can you explain that red "shield" thing for the can. What is it's function and what is it made of of?
um sorry but, DUH!. no really the sleeve im sure allows the core to not get gunk sealed into the outer shell.
JustAnotherName
Silent But Deadly

Post by JustAnotherName »

I meant that compared to a Prodigy which has about 7 sections/chambers versus this one with 11.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

JustAnotherName wrote:It looks really nice, But it also looks like a bitch to clean. Can you explain that red "shield" thing for the can. What is it's function and what is it made of of?
The red half pipe things are what make it so easy to clean. The tube should slide right off and then the half pipe pieces then can be popped off. This is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" features. Anyway, it works, because I just ran a "little" test. I'm still taking pictures so I'll post it shortly.

The Length is a hair over 6 1/8". Diameter is at 1.062". I guess they had to add a little to the overall dimensions to get the half pipes to fit and not sacrifice too much volume. It goes very nicely on my p22 and my dedicated .22 AR SBR. As far as price goes the MSRP is $450.

I'm sure Silencerco will do everything they can to get one of these to Titsworth. I really like the sound. It's quieter to my ear than an Outback 2 and murders the Mite. There's no discernable FRP either. If it's there at all, it's probably like 1 db.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

JustAnotherName wrote:I meant that compared to a Prodigy which has about 7 sections/chambers versus this one with 11.
Oh, gottcha. I'm sure since these don't have a lot of scallops like the Prodigy that they'll be easier. You're dealing with smoother surfaces. Also, there will be a lot on the surface of the half pipes which will be exposed so that when you pull it off it's really easy to get to.
Mr. Greg
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr. Greg »

Needs moar shooting vids. 8)
Clever Signature.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Mr. Greg wrote:Needs moar shooting vids. 8)
If I were really hot--and a chick--and had boobs--I'd star in my own shooting video. Until then I'll have to look for a stunt double. :D
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Very nice! The two piece shell is an excellent idea.
wreckdiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by wreckdiver »

Looks nice. Put 500 rounds of Wally World ammo through it and post some more pics. Is the sleeve aluminum or plastic?
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

bigbigpig wrote:The two piece shell is an excellent idea.
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

Looks nice. I must admit that Silencerco sounds a bit lame. They certainly could have come up with a better name in my opinion.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

that looks nice tmag congrats...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
charliedontsurf

Post by charliedontsurf »

Looks promising.
5mmgunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 5mmgunguy »

Love to hear how it compares to the Spectre or the new Podigy core.
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

Wow, never seen that baffle design before.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Schulze wrote:Wow, never seen that baffle design before.
Yeah, I gave the manufacturer a hard time about that one. To their credit though, they pointed out that there is only so many ways to try to make a cone shape when cross drilling. Especially when you only have around .75" in material width to work with and a tool with a diameter that takes up a quarter to a fifth of that distance. It's a natural evolution if you want a symmetrical baffle.
kelberto

Post by kelberto »

So i was at getsome talking to my good buddy in there that helped fund silencerco and they did what i think they said was a 2,000 round shoot without crackin the end cap and when they were done it came out like butter. The next test they said will shortly happen and it will be 10,000 rounds without crackin the end cap threads to see how easy it comes apart then. If thats not convincing to get one, i dont know what is. Most threads sieze up if you dont crack them every couple hundred rounds.
Procrastination is like masturbation, your only screwing yourself.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

A nice idea of protecting the tube from becoming directly fouled, like a TAC-65, while allowing the use of a one-piece baffle stack.

I bet that if it wasn't for the NFA we would have plasma rifles by now. :D
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

kelberto wrote:So i was at getsome talking to my good buddy in there that helped fund silencerco and they did what i think they said was a 2,000 round shoot without crackin the end cap and when they were done it came out like butter. The next test they said will shortly happen and it will be 10,000 rounds without crackin the end cap threads to see how easy it comes apart then. If thats not convincing to get one, i dont know what is. Most threads sieze up if you dont crack them every couple hundred rounds.
Yeah, they told me about that. It was all rapid fire shooting too. I think they said it filled the first three or four chambers almost full. I wish I could have seen it.

that inspired me to do a little test of my own. I wanted to get to a thousand using normal sustained target fire with a bit of rapid fire thrown in. It ended up taking several shooting sessions. At the last range session I was wearing down and my P-22 was beginning to jam if I used cheaper ammo so I called it a day. I ended up somewhere between 1300-1400. The end cap came right off, but I made sure I never cranked it down. The tube was a bit tight to come off. I was able to get it off without any special tools. The halfpipes just popped loose as easy as could be. I'll show another crapy vid of how it came off.

After seeing how much buildup there was on the halfpipes I was blown away. The buildup was as thick or thicker than the halfpipe itself and it stuck into the chamber. Theres no way that stuff would just sheer off with a tube sliding off. I'm preparing some pictures and I'll make an after action report.

Crosshair, doesn't the TAC-65 just have K-baffles dropped into a tube? I don't remember ever seeing a sleave for them.

ETA: dirty pics

Halfpipe face:

Blast baffle:
Last edited by Mageever on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

This post needs VIDEOS!!!!!!!!! Nice looking unit. Anxious to hear it.
Steve
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Every time someone recommends a sealed 22LR can, I'm going to reference those pics. And then bitchslap'm! :twisted:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
kelberto

Post by kelberto »

thats awesome to know what you are gonna get after use on a can. After seeing that you'd almost always want to have the ability of a tear down suppressor so you can get rid of the build up. Awesome pics.
Procrastination is like masturbation, your only screwing yourself.