Help me pick a scope for my DPMS LRT-SASS rifle

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Help me pick a scope for my DPMS LRT-SASS rifle

Post by stevejobs »

DPMS LRT-SASS .308 Rifle

I ordered this gun several months ago and my dealer finally got it in last week. It's soooo cool. I shot it for the first time yesterday and I thought it handled really well for being almost twelve pounds. I'm thinking of putting an ATN 2-6x DNS scope on it. Is this a good scope? I've never seen one in person. I like how you just change out the eyepiece to switch from day to night vision.

They also have a 4-12x version but it is a pound heavier. I want to use this gun for sniping up to 500 yards, but still retain CQC capabilities. It has an 18" barrel designed just for this purpose, so I don't know how good it would be beyond 500 yards anyway. I'm putting an AAC 7.62-SD on it also, which will make the length "just about right" in my opinion.

I tried shooting it standing while also holding a 4 pound dumbbell in my left hand, so I could get an idea if a 3 pound scope plus 1 pound silencer would be manageable. I could shoot it at eye level ok, but it was quite heavy.

Suggestions? Comments?

NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

ATN is notorious for being crap and I would definetely pass on one for any rifle, let alone a .308 precision rifle. They are poorly constructed, the glass sucks, they don't track worth a s--t and they lack the customer service to back it up.
There was a guy on Snipershide who was a big dealer of ATN scopes that tried to convince everybody how great they were. Several months later, he was no longer a dealer and eating crown when he found out how bad they really were.

Another
Thing
Not
working
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I kind of suspected that since I could not find any info about them in the forums. People seem to like Night Force for a weapon like this (could be wrong).

This is my first precision rifle.
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

NF is a great scope, but might be more than you're looking for ($$$) if you want just a plinker as it may be much more than you're willing to spend. Give me a budget, what you want in the scope, what you plan on doing with it, etc and I can give you some suggestions that will be reliable.
For precision shooting at 100yds, the scopes ability to track well or how well the reticle subtends doesn't really matter as it won't matter. However-stretch it out further than that and that's where things like that really matter.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Thanks for the help. I want a high quality scope that is useful within the limits of this rifle, with it's 18" barrel. I'm guessing 500 yards. But I also want to be able to use it close, so I'll likely mount a small red dot next to the scope.

If no NV, I'd be willing to spend up to $2500. I'd like it to be under 2 pounds. I'd like the option to mount a NV device behind it later on.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I highly recommend the Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 series (best prices I usually find are through swfa.com). They don't get the respect of some of the other big names, but I've had great luck with them and they cost 1/2 to 1/3 what most of the other big name brands do and I have not been let down with their capabilities. I've had a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 5-15X50 (before the consolidated under the Bushnell name for all their scopes) on a Remington 40X 7.62mm for quite a few years that has done everything I wanted inside 1000 yards. I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10X50 on a custom .30-06 I built for my wife and another on my Fulton Armory Titan .308, with great results. You won't find another maker with as clear of optics for under twice what you will pay for a Bushnell Elite, in my opinion.
-R
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

That 18" barrel will get you further than 500yds easily-count on 7-800 depending, maybe even further depending on the load.
It seems that most scopes that accept NV at the rear are proprietary and the day scopes themselves just aren't that great. With a budget like that, I would look very hard at the new Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope. Instead of the straight tube at the objective, it has an actual ocular bell-but more importantly it has exposed knobs with no caps for quick range adjustments. They are also available with reticles that match the adjustments you choose (MOA or Mil). It is also a good size scope for the rifle. The 3.5-15 will just look very large on your platform.
Another option is a US Optics SN3 in 1.8-10 with EREK knob. It is also sized nicely, but will be a good bit more than the NF.
Yes, there are other options available that cost less but you can't beat the proven track record for ruggedness and quality of the NF scopes.

Here's a pic of my 3.5-15 NF in a LaRue mount with Burris Fastfire

Walker Precision
Elite Member

Post by Walker Precision »

Lawdog,

How's the Fastfire holding up? I bought one earlier this year, but haven't had much time to play with it. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks,
Chris
Walker Precision
FFL/SOT
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

It's actually worked pretty good to date. I'll be honest in that I don't shoot with it much, but I do check it on occasion to make sure the zero hasn't shifted-so far it's doing very well.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I guess I meant NV in front of the scope (not behind). The way the KAC NV units mount.

I really like that NF 3.5-15. Are you sure it would be too big for my gun? Would you happen to have a side view of it on your rifle?

Do you think that Burris Fastfire is more suitable than a Doctor Optic for mounting next to the scope?

Also, if I did go with a NF, say 2.5-10, what reticle would you recommend?

Thanks.
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

I guess you can say that I just see the 18" gun as being similar to an SPR, just a tad bigger. I've had this on my SPR before and not only thought it was huge, but was too much magnification for what I was doing with it.
With reticles, it depends on what you are more comfortable with. I usually stick with MOA adjustments since that's what every other scope I have adjusts in. If you go with the MOA adjustments, I would highly recommend the NPR1 reticle as it's spacings are close enough to allow for accurate ranging-but not so much that it gets cluttered. If Mils are your thing, then I'd suggest the Mil line reticle over Mil dots anyday.
As far as the micro-dot's go, Trijicon, Burris, JP and Docter, they are all roughly the same size, so I guess it comes down to what is more robust. Since I've never researched the differences, I'd guess that the Docter is probably the better of them since they do get a lot of military use-I could be wrong though. The Burris works very well and is at an attractive price point, so that's why I went with it.

Here's my NF on my SASS
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Thanks for the info and pic.

What model of LaRue mount are you using for the scope? Do you like it?
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I use a Larue 5/8" riser that was issued, and my personal .308 AR is just serving as a place-holder for it between deployments. :)
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

I'm using the standard SPR mount-I think that's the 1.5??? I forget off the top of my head....
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Can you really remove them and reinstall them without losing zero? Or is that just a claim?
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I haven't tried it on this rifle, but it didn't seem to affect anything noticeably on my rifle at work.
-R
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

stevejobs wrote:Can you really remove them and reinstall them without losing zero? Or is that just a claim?

It's said that it can be done and it did return to zero when I tried it with this rifle-but I wouldn't make a habit of doing that with any precision rifle optic without verifying the zero.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Cool. I think I'm good to go on buying my first optic and then doing some testing on my own.

What do you think of the bore sight lasers? Worthless?
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I use one after I have installed new sights or a scope, just to save me a round or two at the range that I could use for practice rather than sighting in. It works alright.
-R
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

I wouldn't call them worthless, but I get by with much less by sighting through my barrel at something 100yds away and adjust the scope to match what the barrel is pointed at.

That gets me on paper and doesn't take me more than a couple of rounds to get zero'd.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Leupold.

They're not cheap, but then, they're not cheap.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
technique408

Post by technique408 »

US Optics?

I had a ST-10, I loved it. Had to part with it for financial reasons :cry:
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I really like the IOR/Valdada scope(s). You might try the 10x MP-8 lighted reticule model. They use Schott glass. Without intending to sound heretical, I think they give the other high $ scopes a run for their money.

The US optics do have a reputation for durability. I take a hammer camping to pound in tent stakes though.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

continuity wrote:I really like the IOR/Valdada scope(s). You might try the 10x MP-8 lighted reticule model. They use Schott glass. Without intending to sound heretical, I think they give the other high $ scopes a run for their money.
I'm a big fan of IOR, too. Scott at Liberty Optics took care of me and I highly recommend him.
seacoastnh
Elite Member

Post by seacoastnh »

NF Optics-Bill wrote: With a budget like that, I would look very hard at the new Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope.
I have a 2.5-10 x 32 with the NP-R2 reticle and zero stop knobs with a larue mount. It is currently on a 16 inch noveske 223 upper.
I can’t say enough nice stuff about the scope. I have used it in a defensive rifle class, it has twice the eye relief of a 4x32 acog and less magnification for close quarters. With a range finder and the bullet flight application it is fun to pick off distance targets.
For comparison I have a leupold mark 4 tactical in 3.5-14 x 50 and a zeiss conquest 3-9 x 40, the glass on the nightforce seem to be substantially better. I am pondering the nightforce 3.5-15x 50 for my next scope.

Larue sells nightforce scopes with his mounts, the price is a little better than the scope and mount separately.