Good P22 Stories?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Good P22 Stories?

Post by Bowen1911 »

So I was wondering if I was the only person on this site who has not had a bad experience with a P22. I have shot close to 2000 rounds since my last cleaning, and I have only had one failure to fire, which was in the first 50 so it doesn't reflect dirty performance.

I also don't have accuracy issues- With a rest, 2 inch groups at 25 yards aren't hard, And I suck with a pistol. A few friends of mine are much better shots, and they make it look like they are using a rifle.

Anyone else with a good story?
or am I just lucky
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

You should call the Smithsonian before it's too late. :D
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I didn't make it to 2000 rounds, but I did do an impromptu torture test when I got mine.

I didn't lube (other than what was on it when I got it) or clean it. It went about 850 rounds before a failure (to fire due to the firing pin hole being clogged up with gunk).

I fired another 100 rounds or so and started getting a myriad of cycling failures as well.

Overall, I don't feel that is bad and I have been more than satisfied with mine.
I don't care what your chart says
TPayne
Silent But Deadly

Post by TPayne »

I own a P22 and love mine. The only failures I have had were due to the gun being dirty.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

Good story? Walther fixed it a paid for shippng th e3 times it broke and I had to send it back because they will not send me parts.
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I haven't broken anything on mine and nothing that is infamous for wearing out is showing any signs of wear. I've seen P22's with 10 rounds through them that showed wear in certain areas and had badly finished parts that cut into each other. Too bad the sights don't adjust far enough to get rounds on target. Other people are happy using the thing and not hitting anything.
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

My experience is a bad one, I know people who have good ones, but I would never recommend to someone that they gamble on the quality of the workmanship.

I think the design is a sound one, but with some minor tweaks at the factory, and some quality materials would make it an incredible .22lr pistol.

A: The safety mechanism needs a guard of some kind and a change in it's shape so that it doesn't roll over the hammer during firing and engage, or worse, in some cases disengage while cocking the weapon.

B: The slide needs to be made of a more solid metal, cases here, and plenty on RFC.com where it has cracked are pathetic. The hammer too, they crack often enough. Both of them take wear very quickly the action of the gun, and the trigger bar ears eat into the slide quickly.

C: The manner of the trigger bar and it's resting on an underpowered spring that keeps it in contact with the sear needs to be fixed. Every few weeks I see a post about how a P22 has lost it's double action, asking for a reason. And Walther wouldn't just let me order the spring, I had to buy a whole new trigger assy.

D: The barrel is for crap. I have a 5, and a 3.4. Both have a defect in them which walther did not cover. It almost looks like a ripple in the metal. Nothing major, except that it catches a bit of lead every shot, which just keeps building until it takes 30 minutes with a brass brush to clean it out.

E: The extractor throws casings everywhere. Left, right, in my face, behind me, and on one memorable occasion the damn thing fell back into the action after the last shot.

F: The rail setup under the barrel would be much better if it were picatinny, or at least weaver. Why put it there if you're gonna make the damn thing proprietary in nature so that everyone has to pay a premium for a toy for a .22.

G: The sights would be nice if they had a bit more adjustability, and a lot less play in their mount.

I hope people don't think this is me bashing. I honestly believe the gun could be great, it fits my hand perfectly, and the few mags it has run through without malfunction have been a joy to shoot. It just needs some love from its manufacturer, the small bit of effort it would take to make it worth the $375 or $472 they want as an MSRP.

Until then, I would never recommend this handgun to anyone. :/[/u]
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I agree heavily with B, D, E, F, and G. A and C I don't know about. Just make it out of steel and polish the trigger bar already, Walther. Oh and put in a full diameter barrel and some better sights.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Damn. I guess I must be the lucky one all around. I also bought a little jiminez arms JA-380 (saturday night special if ever) for $74 on gunbroker, and the damn thing refuses to fail. I must be gifted by god to not have any problems where it seems everyone else does (knock on wood x100)
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

My P-22 is fine.... Goes bang every time.. Feeds fine... Extracts fine.... It's not all that inaccurate either. I have about 2K through it and have cleaned it a few times. I do clean it w/o disassembly every few 100.

Only hack is the front sight pops out so I super glued it in... Most reliable .22 I own. ESPECIALLY with a silencer.

My TacSol 1911 kit is good for about 2 FTF per 20-30 rounds and after 20-30 rounds with a silencer the failure rate climbs quickly ...

My High standard is better but sill after a few mags needs to be cleaned to feed correctly when using a silencer.

My Model 41 S&W is nowhere near as reliable as the P-22.

The last round slide hold open works on it 100% too. The TacSol kit is a joke. Seems the slide hold open is a luxury they could not get to work.

My COLT ACE is reliable but I will not thread that...
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

100% flawless record with CCI MM, Fed Champions and RGB. I've hit everything I've ever shot at. I don't shoot beyond 25 yards. I only use it suppressed. I clean it every 200 rounds. 1000+ rounds and still chugging along.

My TacSol MkII is my other favorite and its record is similar.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Mine works fine, ex wifes and buddys. No problems. Good plinker. Hermit
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
Remy1492
Silent Operator

Post by Remy1492 »

my last one had BAD lead buildup in the barrel, good to know it wasn't just me.

Had to scrape it out with a dental pick.
C-130E/H-1
MALIBU12

Post by MALIBU12 »

1,000+ and I have cleaned it once .
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

glad to hear some people have good luck too
dbwebbsr
Silent Operator

Post by dbwebbsr »

Mine's been 100%. The only issue I have is the occaisional failure to lock back the slide on an empty mag. It only gets shot w/ the Element on it. It gets cleaned pretty regularly, & completely stripped down every 1K rounds or so. I shoot it more often than the Pac-Lited 22/45. The Ruger is definitely more accurate, but the P-22 just fits my hands more better.
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

I have had no issues with mine, except that my friends wife will not shoot it with the can on it as "it is to big and will kick to much".
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

I had one (that I traded for a buckmark). I never had a problem with my P22. I just wanted something a little more accurate. The P22 served as a host for my AAC pilot. The gun ate everything I fed it. What I liked best about it was that I could load the mag full of .22 short rounds I can't do that with my buckmark mag. It will only take 2 or 3 .22 shorts.