Leaded gas question

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Kjeil

Leaded gas question

Post by Kjeil »

Other than screwing up your emissions system does anybody know if leaded gas has any mid/long term effects?

The reason I ask is that I was considering a possible emergency fuel source - avgas. Almost every plane sitting down at those private airstrips is full of 100 octane low lead fuel (just make sure it has a blue tint). Plane owners routinely keep their tanks full to cut down on water in the fuel from condensation. A typical Cessna 172 has around 25 gallons. It would be easy to siphon out of the high wings since gravity would do all the work.
Viking-Armory.com
FFL 7 / Class 2 SOT
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Leaded gas question

Post by WhisperFan »

Just make sure when you are 'commondeering' your emegency fuel, you bring a squad-sized group to watch your back. Usually not too many places to hide or find cover on a flight line - and you probably won't be the only person to think of it :wink:

I have no productive information on the fuel though - sorry
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
kingair76py

Post by kingair76py »

it'll work just fine, actually better than reg gas.. but if you have an o2 sensor... the lead will cover it in a few mins and turn on your "check engine light" other than that its great stuff..
Kjeil

Post by Kjeil »

WhisperFan wrote:Just make sure when you are 'commondeering' your emegency fuel, you bring a squad-sized group to watch your back. Usually not too many places to hide or find cover on a flight line - and you probably won't be the only person to think of it :wink:

I have no productive information on the fuel though - sorry
Actually a lot of them are parked in T-Hangers and you'd have good cover if it was dark. You'd be surprised by how many little airports are out in the middle of nowhere.
Viking-Armory.com
FFL 7 / Class 2 SOT
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

So, we're now discussing stealing from other people? When did that become accepted here? :?
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

PTK wrote:So, we're now discussing stealing from other people? When did that become accepted here? :?
I was thinking along the lines of a complete breakdown of society .... if that happened, stealing gas from planes at an airport would be a pretty minor crime (compared to what would be going on all over the place.)

Also, if I had a choice (after some severe natural disaster) of 'borrowing' some fuel from a parked plane (with the intent to pay it back after the emergency) - or allowing my family to freeze ..... no contest
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
radar
Silent Operator

Post by radar »

I grew up around small airports, and around here (AK) you will get shot for that kind of behavior.