subsonic 22 hornet loads

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Boomstick06

subsonic 22 hornet loads

Post by Boomstick06 »

Looking for load data for 22 hornet subsonic shooting 40 gr bullets. Also, Ive heard that jacket separation can occur at those low of speeds, should I be concerned in this caliber/load?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: subsonic 22 hornet loads

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Boomstick06

Post by Boomstick06 »

Thanks, I've been thru that info before and was looking for a slower burn powder to fill the casing more to keep from having to use filler. I read that imr4831 is viable but looking for guidance from someone that has maybe played around with this caliber subsonic before. Kinda funny, all my life of reloading ive been trying to get the fastest, most accurate load and now im going the other direction.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Just trying to get the discussion started for you. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Boomstick06

Post by Boomstick06 »

Well I came up with a load, 10gr imr 4831 CCI small pistol and 40gr vmax. Will shoot thru the chrony Sunday and give some velocities and groups.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Yikes, IMR4831 is way too slow a powder. While that load will give you a velocity near 1050-1100, Quickload shows only 25% of the powder is burned in an 18" barrel at that low of a chamber pressure. The rest of the powder will give a nice fireball outside the barrel. If you used this slow powder with a suppressor, you could risk accumulation of unburned powder in the suppressor and possible secondary detonation in it.

The fluffy Trailboss powder will give you the most case fill and 100% burn in the barrel; and 2.6-2.8gr for a 40 gr bullet will be close to what you want.

Edited to change the load above because I had originally used in Quickload 22-250 instead of 22 Hornet.
Last edited by johndoe3 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

johndoe3 wrote: The fluffy Trailboss powder will give you the most case fill and 100% burn in the barrel; and 4.5gr for a 40 gr bullet will be close to what you want.

That sounds like a capitol plan.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I changed the previous posted load for Trailboss, because I had inadvertently left the cartridge selection in Quickload as 22-250 instead of changing to 22 Hornet.

IMR Trailboss load of 2.6-2.8gr will be close to subsonic and give a 66% fill (2.6gr load), while burning 100% in the barrel.

The other change was that IMR4831 only has a 24.4% burn in the barrel, blowing out 75% of the powder unburned.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Boomstick06

Post by Boomstick06 »

johndoe3 wrote:I changed the previous posted load for Trailboss, because I had inadvertently left the cartridge selection in Quickload as 22-250 instead of changing to 22 Hornet.

IMR Trailboss load of 2.6-2.8gr will be close to subsonic and give a 66% fill (2.6gr load), while burning 100% in the barrel.

The other change was that IMR4831 only has a 24.4% burn in the barrel, blowing out 75% of the powder unburned.
After reading your last post I checked my can and you're correct, good amount of unburnt powder but that's why I ask questions. I appreciate all the help as I do not have access to some of the programs yall do. Next question, with the trail boss load (and not sure if this is even important) how quickly does the powder obtain 100% burn in a 18" barrel?
Would a powder that burned 100% at the 16" mark of a 18" barrel give any benefits as say a powder that burned 100% at 10" in a 18" barrel? (accuracy, stability, equal velocity?)
Boomstick06

Post by Boomstick06 »

johndoe3 wrote:.IMR Trailboss load of 2.6-2.8gr will be close to subsonic and give a 66% fill (2.6gr load), while burning 100% in the barrel.
Im getting 1250fps avg at muzzle. loaded down to 1.8 and achieved subsonic but needs filler, dont really like the idea of using a filler.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Boomstick06 wrote:
johndoe3 wrote:.IMR Trailboss load of 2.6-2.8gr will be close to subsonic and give a 66% fill (2.6gr load), while burning 100% in the barrel.
Im getting 1250fps avg at muzzle. loaded down to 1.8 and achieved subsonic but needs filler, dont really like the idea of using a filler.
What weight projectile? maybe stepping up a few grains in bullet weight would get the subsonic goodness you seek.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

1.8gr of Trailboss gives you a 46.5% fill according to Quickload. You don't need a filler with Trailboss, it wouldn't affect cartridge performance. Trailboss being a fluffy powder, has quirky outcomes if you compress it at all (like with a filler). In 308 and 338 Federal subsonics, when I compressed Trailboss even slightly, it gave velocity spikes which result in high variance (SD) and uneven velocities. Lots of people have shot light 150gr bullets in 308 as subsonic using Trailboss with a similar fill to your Hornet load. They don't have a problem and need no filler.

For example, with my 338 Federal shooting subsonics and using the heaviest 300gr bullet, I couldn't get enough Trailboss powder in the case to hit 1050fps without compressing it. The velocity spikes were not good for consistent velocities. So for 338 Federal and 300gr bullet, I switched to VV N110 powder which is a slower powder than Trailboss. It gives 100% burn (Quickload) in a 13" barrel length and my 13.4gr load has a 45% cartridge fill needing no filler. VV N110 is a stick powder.

According to Quickload, Trailboss gives you 100% burn in the barrel with as little as 7.0" of barrel length for a 22 Hornet with 40gr bullet.
Would a powder that burned 100% at the 16" mark of a 18" barrel give any benefits as say a powder that burned 100% at 10" in a 18" barrel? (accuracy, stability, equal velocity?)
If you were going for maximum possible velocity, then a powder that takes all of the barrel length to achieve 100% burn would generally give you the highest velocity. However, with a subsonic load, you aren't trying to achieve the highest velocity, but instead to hit the 1050fps mark with the highest case fill (so that you don't need a filler).
Boomstick06

Post by Boomstick06 »

Ive got 52gr amax and 60gr partitions handy but don't think the 60's will feed thru my mag. I was asking about a longer burn powder just wondering if that would be a safer bet to keep jacket separation from happening. Thanks to all yalls help. Ive asked these questions on other forums and all I get is "go buy subsonic 22lr" and other helpless replies.
HotGuns
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotGuns »

I've been using 1.3 grains of Red Dot with Remington Rifle primers in the Hornet.

It's an extremely quiet load when fired using a suppressor, in fact it rivals my .22 Integrally suppressed rifles that I have.

It loves case 40 grain bullets that have been powder coated. Its subsonic at 1.3, 1.4 puts them into the supersonic realm.

Of interesting note is the fact that even suppressed, it'll manage to shoot completely through a landscape timber and into the one behind it. Even a supersonic 22 LR wont do that.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

HotGuns wrote:
Of interesting note is the fact that even suppressed, it'll manage to shoot completely through a landscape timber and into the one behind it. Even a supersonic 22 LR wont do that.
I wonder why that is. Maybe because of the jacketed projectile?