WTK -- Suppressing a Beretta 84 - 380

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

WTK -- Suppressing a Beretta 84 - 380

Post by TROOPER »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohmpeVzLT0

I've read through the comments but there are some unanswered questions. First, he recommends possibly Tornado Tech or ADCO, but says that it was a private individual who did the threading for him.

I have a Beretta 87 (22 LR) and the barrel is the exact same diameter... meaning that I know it won't accept a normal 1/2 x 28 threading without an adapter to create a viable shoulder to index against. He does mention this in the comments -- the portion about an adapter -- but he doesn't go into it any deeper.

Who could thread such a thing? Being a 380, it should suppress better given that the internal volume of the can relative to the powder is more favorable than a 9mm. However, it is a blow-back, so the increased back-pressure has historically proven to be a problem for blow-back 380s. That doesn't seem to be a problem for the man in the video, either due to some design internals of the Ti-Rant, or because the man used a stiffer spring and didn't mention it.

I do have a Beretta 84 in 380, and the slide is heavy and the spring is quite stiff. I theorize that a smaller can such a Poseidon or a Nano wouldn't create enough back pressure to be a tremendous issue. I rather suspect that this handgun can be suppressed well given the right combination of springs and suppressor.

My questions are who is viable to do such a thread job.... and which is the more appropriate silencer? Size matters, and I'm looking at the Nano, or possibly asking Brooks at TM if he could create a stainless Poseidon for a premium. I am open to other suggestions as far as silencer suggestions, and frankly, I'm open to being talked out of this too. If someone has knowledge as to why this is a bad idea -- especailly first-hand knowledge -- please chime in.

Thanks in advance.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: WTK -- Suppressing a Beretta 84 - 380

Post by TROOPER »

In studying the Beretta 84, I believe I understand why (seemingly) no one will touch it for a thread job. The barrel is very thin since the 380 is such a tame cartridge. Also, the overall outer diameter of the barrel is inappropriate for a 1/2 x 28 thread job. An adaptor would need to be made to attain that threading. However, that still doesn't solve the problem of insufficient *meat* to work with... basically, the difference between the inner and outer diameter.

I will have a review of this particular handgun -- with pictures -- and a more detailed and illustrated explanation of (what I believe to be) the difficulties in threading this particular model.

Still, this is an open question if anyone can chime in with information on who would thread it... and what might be an appropriate silencer for it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Just have an adapter made for it to bring it out to the necessary thread pitch.

Done all the time for thin barrel hosts.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Any leads on who could/would do such a task?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

We are pretty backlogged and getting ready to do some production runs of parts so we won't be able to help you on this for the time being.

I would go check Adco and see if they are willing to do it for you.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Bendersquint wrote:We are pretty backlogged and getting ready to do some production runs of parts so we won't be able to help you on this for the time being.

I would go check Adco and see if they are willing to do it for you.
Will do -- thanks for the lead.