Please help settle a debate

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Please help settle a debate

Post by mbogo »

A person new to suppressors (but who spent a lot of time in a Motel 6 watching YouTube) claims a Maglite-based can using off-the-shelf components (end caps, freeze plugs) would be as effective as a store-bought can. I have stipulated that it would be less expensive (say, about $100 for the parts and $200 for the stamp versus $350 (plus the stamp)) than something like the Rebel SOS-Hunter. I have also stipulated that a Form 1 approval will take less time for approval than a Form 4.

What I won't stipulate is that the Maglite-based can would be as effective as even the bargain-priced Rebel (29-31dB reduction on a .308).

Am I mistaken?
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Please help settle a debate

Post by #40Fan »

Would the aluminum of a mag-lite be strong enough for a .308"? Not sure what it is made of, but the SOS is 7075.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Is a car built in 1973 as technologically advanced as one built today? A Mag-Lite suppressor will work, just like a 1973 year car will roll on the road, but it won't be as effective or as durable as the evolved models we have today.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

.308 will beat up aluminum.I saw some cutaways of tubes and the heat erosion was scary.I would feel bad if I did not use the best materials and it injured someone.Pistol calibers are alright and I can see even Spec-Ops needs where the lifespan is short but not a F1 high power rifle build.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

#40Fan wrote:Would the aluminum of a mag-lite be strong enough for a .308"? Not sure what it is made of, but the SOS is 7075.
Yes, it is strong enough if you don't get it very hot. I've been using one for a number of years now.

As to the argument on effectiveness - well that depends one the baffle design and configuration of course. It would be a stretch to say a MagLite based F1 can can't be as effective, unless you're trying to limit the discussion to just drilled freeze plugs. Using a MagLite for the tube has nothing to do with how well the internals suppress a gunshot.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

mbogo wrote:
What I won't stipulate is that the Maglite-based can would be as effective as even the bargain-priced Rebel (29-31dB reduction on a .308).
The Rebel is more like 24-25 dB reduction. It's not a good can in any respect. They finally put stainless tips on the aluminum cones (we'll see if they stay put), but it's still cheap in every sense of the word.

As for F1 being as good as quality commercial suppressors, they can be, but not likely with components you buy and poke holes in. If you copy a commercial can, it will perform like that commercial can.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

ECCO Machine wrote:
mbogo wrote:
The Rebel is more like 24-25 dB reduction. It's not a good can in any respect. They finally put stainless tips on the aluminum cones (we'll see if they stay put), but it's still cheap in every sense of the word.

As for F1 being as good as quality commercial suppressors, they can be, but not likely with components you buy and poke holes in. If you copy a commercial can, it will perform like that commercial can.
The Rebel was chosen as an example only because of its price point and 'primitive' construction; the noise reduction rating was taken off their web site (puffery, perhaps?).

Neither of us has access to lathes, mills, CNCs, etc., nor the skills to operate them if we did. He just figured it would be a simple matter to cobble a can together and be good to go. I told him that Hiram Maxim would laugh at his can and showed him this photo :mrgreen: :

Thanks for all the replies.
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen: