No DD dealer in this part of the state

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Senior Silent Operator

No DD dealer in this part of the state

Post by 748 »

I didn't realize they can be a rare breed.
After asking around I found out no one in this part of the state is a DD dealer. We an individual or to around who has their sot, but no dealers.
I was think about possibly buying the LMT non-NFA 37mm and 40mm receiver and nothing else 40mm related, putting it on a form 1 and sending it off.
Then when I get the tax stamp back then buy the rest of the parts and ammo.
Would there be any objection to doing this?
NM doesn't appear to have any NFA DD restrictions.
This would be my first DD.
So much has changed since my last form 1
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: No DD dealer in this part of the state

Post by Capt. Link. »

748 wrote:I didn't realize they can be a rare breed.
After asking around I found out no one in this part of the state is a DD dealer. We an individual or to around who has their sot, but no dealers.
I was think about possibly buying the LMT non-NFA 37mm and 40mm receiver and nothing else 40mm related, putting it on a form 1 and sending it off.
Then when I get the tax stamp back then buy the rest of the parts and ammo.
Would there be any objection to doing this?
NM doesn't appear to have any NFA DD restrictions.
This would be my first DD.
A regular 02-07 FFL may acquire 1 DD per year without additional paperwork.We did this for a customer that wished a M-203.This possibly extends to a 03 retail licence as well.You can register a 37mm flare gun as a DD or have a DD made under the rules for a 01 tax stamp.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Oh really?
The local boys are convinced that they can't deal them.
I will ask if they have heard of the one DD per year thing, it's news to me. I know a lots of things have changed in the last few years.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

748 wrote:Oh really?
The local boys are convinced that they can't deal them.
I will ask if they have heard of the one DD per year thing, it's news to me. I know a lots of things have changed in the last few years.
the ATF will allow 07's this if there are not any FFL10's or DD deales in your area, have your 07 call the ATF and mention this fact that there are no local 10's....best case they refer you to a 10 that you may not know about
Oosbie

Post by Oosbie »

Pardon the bump, it's still on the first page. I'm sure by now you have your answer, and personally even being on a first name basis with multiple FFLs type 10 I would still Form 1 an LMT M203 tube. Still, I hope you or someone finding this thread in the future finds this helpful.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undef ... t/download

I honestly thought there would be more like there are in PA. New Mexico has four FFL/10s and zero types 09 or 11:

DeGroat in Milan, Cibola County
Alliant Techsystems Operations LLC in Socorro, Socorro County
Energetic Materials Research & Test Center (EMRTC) in Socorro, Socorro County <--- doubt this one will transfer an LMT M203
6 Management Corporation in Alamogordo, Otero County

If licensed dealers/manufacturers/importers of firearms including destructive devices including armor piercing ammunition out west are anything like those back east most of them are contractors who won't give you the time of day.

Good luck.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

You don't need a Type 10 FFL, a M203 receiver with no barrel is classified as a Title 1 firearm. It's not a DD until after you Form 1 it and add the 40mm barrel. I just went through this when I purchased a M203 receiver from a contract overrun at DS Arms.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Lately I have been buying silencers so they can sit in limbo for up to 10 months.
Checking in on 40mm thing again. Last time there wasn't any chalk ammo available. Now I think I know why.
Turns out the traditional m871 training round has been reclassed as some kind of dangerous explosive and they pretty much can't be sold to us regular folk any more.
Now if you want to buy them you get an inert 871 and make it live by inserting a 38 cal blank into the back of the shell.
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I ended up buying an M203 reciever and form 1ing it. It's been in NFA limbo for about 2 moths now.
Buying an M203 reciever and putting it on a form 1 is probably going to be the easiest way to get one for most people.
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Snail mailed form 1 M203 took about 4 months.