Problem loading .45ACP

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

morris
Senior Silent Operator

Problem loading .45ACP

Post by morris »

I have a Dillon 650 that's probably 20 years old have loaded literally 10's of thousands of rounds on it and updated it over the years.

I recently encountered a problem where the bullets seem to be going into the case slightly cocked to the side which causes the case to be dented or bulged when it comes out of the press. I have literally run thousands of .45 through these dies without issue. My first thought was maybe I need to expand the mouth more, which I did but that didn't really help any as it only expands the very top of the case. It seems almost as though the case itself needs to be expanded a little bit more further down the case.

I was thinking maybe I needed a new set of dies but before I drop 75$ on a set I thought I would ask around to see if anyone else has experienced this.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: Problem loading .45ACP

Post by dtom29 »

check to be sure your seating die doesn't have something stuck up inside it.
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

Thanks I am pretty sure I have the wrong stem in the seating die, I should be able to confirm on Monday.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I had an older doing 550 that did the same thing. I sent the unit back to Dillon for their rebuild service and it came back running perfectly. They told me the crank was cracked.

The problem could be out of your control at this point?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George