How I threaded my Glock 34

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

renegade
Silent But Deadly

How I threaded my Glock 34

Post by renegade »

I get asked this from time to time, so I wrote it up.

When I decided to use a Glock handgun as my 9mm silencer platform, the issue of how best to go about getting a threaded barrel presented two solutions:

I could get an aftermarket threaded barrel and hope it worked.

I could get a Glock barrel threaded to my exact specifications.

I chose option 2 because I wanted to maintain that "Glock Look" with a factory black Glock barrel that I knew would fit and function to Glock specifications, and I could get the barrel threaded exactly for the silencer I would be using, instead of a one size [does not] fit all aftermarket barrel.

To thread a Glock barrel for a Glock 34 you need a Glock17L barrel.

The first issue is where to place the thread shoulder. The shoulder needs to be cut so that the silencer does not hit the slide or recoil guide at anytime during cycling. The good news is that on a Glock 34, due to the extended slide, the recoil guide is not an issue. So your shoulder needs to be just a little bit past the slide, as shown in this picture:

The measurement for where the shoulder should be is taken from the top of the breech to the shoulder as shown in this picture:

As you can see, mine is 5.4135 inches as shown on the caliper. In other words, 5.4 inches.

As for the threads, I chose to use 1/2x28, since that is common in the United States for 9mm handgun silencers, and was the threading of the silencer I was going to use (SWR/GS9K2). How long the threads should be is dependent upon the silencer you are using. You want the thread length to be equal to the length of the threads of the silencer. This way there is no overlap or underlap of threads, which would result in thread fouling from carbon buildup. Mine is just a little over .5 inches of threading as shown in the picture below:

These are the basic specifications I gave to the barrel threader. In addition to this, I had the threader thread to 2A, with less than 1/1000 runout, concentric to the bore, not the barrel. This is the end result:

How I threaded my Glock 17
Last edited by renegade on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hud33
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hud33 »

Renegade,

Well done. Very informative post. I'm glad to see it's been done before and done right. I'm ordering the G17L barrel to do the same thing. Then I'll be waiting for the Evo-9 to transfer...

What do you think of the Docter Optics on the G34?

Hud33
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Hud33 wrote:Renegade,

Well done. Very informative post. I'm glad to see it's been done before and done right. I'm ordering the G17L barrel to do the same thing. Then I'll be waiting for the Evo-9 to transfer...

What do you think of the Docter Optics on the G34?

Hud33
I like the Dr Optic. The gun is purpose built though. I use it to dispatch varmints. The Dr allows me to make precise shots at distance I just could not do with iron sights. A lot of my shots are at night, so it makes it easy to see also under moonlight conditions.
Scott S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scott S. »

"I had the threader thread to 2A, with less than 1/1000 runout, concentric to the bore, not the barrel. "

What is 2A? Also, how does a machinist thread concentric to the bore and not the barrel? He chucks up the barrel. Guess that's why I admire good
machinists :roll:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

You can turn the barrel between centers or you can use an independent-jaw chuck and indicate off a pin in the bore.

Class 2 threads specify a tolerance for fit. Class-2 is the most common spec. I am not sure what the A means.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Mine was done with a pin in bore.

A is for outside threads, B is for inside threads.
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

AAC Evolution

Post by Quietly-Effectively »

I never even considered a 9mm pistol suppressor until I read the posts regarding the Evolution. Now it is on my must buy list.

- One of the benefits of reading this forum -
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

What kind of pistol suppressor did you want? .22 or .45?
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

Pistol suppressor

I wanted a .22 suppressor and ended up buy an AAC Pilot and SRT Arms Cheyenne XL. I use these on my P22 and 10/22. At this point, I want the Evolution 9 (Glock 17), but have no desire for a suppressed .45.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I wanted the Mk23/KAC can because is is military adopted. But just for fun shooting, the 9mm is best. Is the XL quieter or louder than the Pilot? Or the same?
Jose Jimenez
Silent Operator

Re: How I threaded my Glock 34

Post by Jose Jimenez »

That looks very nice. It looks like about 3/16" of barrel between the slide and the beginning of threads. Do you really need that much or would 1/8" be sufficient?
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

.22 Suppressors

rsilvers wrote:I wanted the Mk23/KAC can because is is military adopted. But just for fun shooting, the 9mm is best. Is the XL quieter or louder than the Pilot? Or the same?
The SRT has more FRP, but they sound the same to my ear on shots 2 - 10. I assume that SRT is much smaller than AAC, but Doug must know how to make a good product none the less.
Scott S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scott S. »

Thanks for the quick reply, I've always found machine shop work interesting but never did involve myself with it.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Re: How I threaded my Glock 34

Post by renegade »

Jose Jimenez wrote:Image

That looks very nice. It looks like about 3/16" of barrel between the slide and the beginning of threads. Do you really need that much or would 1/8" be sufficient?
No, you do not need that much, as the recoil guide on a 34 does not protrude. 1/8 would work too.
Quarterbore

Post by Quarterbore »

I am the new guy here but the guys over at ARFCOM said you were the experts....

I am debating my silencer options and I also have a Glock 17 with an extra Glock 34 upper. I have been trying to decide if I would want the silencer on the Glock 17 or the Glock 34.

Is there an advantage to doing this with one or the other?

I also see your other thread with the info on doing this for the Glock 17:

http://www.silencertests.com/silencer-f ... ight=glock

Thanks for any advise on the Glock 17 vs Glock 34 choice and perhaps I will do both over time but I figure you might have a favorite!