{Poll}Sig P226 Vs. G17

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Which do you prefer

Sig P226 9mm
53%
G17
34%
Cortland likes ButtSeks
13%

Total votes: 99

sluggie24
Silent But Deadly

Post by sluggie24 »

Personally I think that both pistols are very able to do whatever you want. It all comes down to personal preference. For ME the P226 just fits MY hand perfectly allowing ME to shoot better than with a Glock which doesn't fit MY hand as well. I also prefer the trigger pull of the P226 over the stock trigger of the Glock. It's all just personal preference. My suggestion would be to go to a shop and hold each and dry fire them and determine which feels better to you. Chances are that pistol will be the one that you shoot better with.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Well, Non of those disciplines require what I call accuracy. I have not seen a Glock at any bullseye shoots. OR a SIG 226 for that matter.
This is really bugging me. Apples to kiwis. I haven't seen a Indy 500 car at an NHRA drag strip. :roll:
Please tell me you're not a skeet geek too.
We have these snobby guys come into our shop and act like the only gun worth having is a multi-thousand dollar O/U shotgun. Pumps and autos are for the uncooth.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I don't know why this bothers you... Nope, I don't shoot skeet but do have a model 12.

I have shot black powder Cowboy skeet with my double barrel coach gun.. But I paid $200-$300 for that IIRC. Does that count? I can't see paying $2000 for a shot gun. Maybe a nice custom bolt rifle or a scope. ;)

My 3" 44 special S&W round butt J frame shoots, and has shot many, a one hole 5 shot groups(2"-2.5") at 50" Paid $350 for that.... My Dan Wesson 1911 shoots a one hole 5 shot group at 50" about the same size.. I paid under just under $700 for that (Sure wish I got 2 of them for that price)

My 6" M-19 S&W with 38 waddcuter shoots fairly nicely too. I took 5 candle pins off a table in 5 seconds with hand loads of self cast 158 gr gas checked moderate vel loads 1/2 way between a Magnum and a 38 load. (they have to go OFF the table not over and spinning) Accuracy really is important because you need to hit it dead center or you are going to get a spinner)

I watch more people screw the pooch with their high capacity 9mm's because they were not accurate enough to clean a candle pin (not a duck pin or 10 pin and candle pin) off the table. They had plenty of ammo and fast mag changes but I only needed to use my speed loader ONE time the whole day as 6 was more than I needed to shoot 5 pins off the table.

Accuracy should come 1st THEN speed. That's what kept the gun slingers of yesteryear alive under pressure was making a good 1st shot.

Yep, I have some pistols that don't shoot very well. But even my PPK shoots a nice target.

So to answer you question of how do I carry my "Target" pistol for protection/self defense. I simply put it in my Alessi IWB holster or in my shoulder holster. I carry the Dan Wesson "Patriot" in a DeSantis rig with 2 spare mags when I have a over shirt, or the Alessi holster in the warm months.

The most accurate pistol I have ever owned was my Rugar Stainless steel "Old Army", with the long barrel and adjustable sights, cap and ball pistol. Consistent 1.5" groups at 50 feet. I still don't get why.

But I have NEVER been impressed by a 9mm high capacity pistol. ANY of them. I'm sure they are out there, but usually I see a 3-5" (if that) circle of mostly single 9mm holes shot by the people who shoot them at BEST.

Mostly I see some para military dude dressed in some sort of "uniform" with a drop leg holster.. walk out and put bad guy silhouette target out at 6-12 yards. Then proceed to blast away with his 9mm and keep "most" of the shots in the "chest" (still some in the white) Then try to shoot head shots and get a bunch in the white. Not even doing speed drills. Just shooting.

They shoot 200 rounds then leave feeling confident they honed their shooting "skills". As long as they had a good time who cares....

Who knows where the gun is even sighted in for with all the holes all over. No telling.

They leave.. I go over and try to shoot 3 in the T zone.. Then walk away. At 25 feet I'll let you guess at my success rate.

I wish they would take all the 9mm high capacity pistols and give them away... then re issue revolvers to officers. Teach them to hit what they aim at. Maybe knowing you don't have 9-12 more shots left will motivate you to hit what you need to. As an instructor since 1977 I seriously feel the high capacity 9mm was the worst thing to happen for proficiency.

Maybe after they learn accuracy then issue them a high capacity pistol after they demonstrate the responsibility and ability to use it correctly.

Sounds harsh.. but the reason we have DAO and 12 Lb triggers is because of lack of proficiency. (and the resulting lawsuits) What, only SWAT can carry tuned 1911's? We should encourage accurate and quick shooting. Not speed shooting or mag dumps. I firmly believe we should issue LE a pistol that is accurate. Let them become excellent with it. Let them carry what ever they want as long as they can pass the required proficiency testing.

Sorry you feel the expression "Spray n pray" connotes Gang antics... to me that expression came around way BEFORE a gang ever heard of a Glock. It goes back to the time when revolvers were being phased out and inaccurate 9mm pistols (S&W sure made some real junk) became in vogue. Then the need for +P expanding ammo since the FMJ was crap.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

JohnInNH wrote: Accuracy should come 1st THEN speed. That's what kept the gun slingers of yesteryear alive under pressure was making a good 1st shot.

As an instructor since 1977 I seriously feel the high capacity 9mm was the worst thing to happen for proficiency.
Only if you believe Hollywood most of the gunfights of yesteryear where at powderburn distance just like today.

I will give you the the average high cap 9mm guy is the spray and pray type, but not all! Not too long ago I shot next to a well dressed gentleman in his 60s who was shooting a 1911 in the 1300.00 range with laser grips at 20 feet with a target that looks like my shotgun patterning at 50 yards. I took my little low cap 9mm a kahr (IMO the best type of pistol for a 9mm .380 size) and shot groups as fast as my friend at twice the distance and had a bad day, I could not cover 22 shots with my fist. This gentile man was still in the gun store as I walked out for more targets he loudly proclaimed me the best shooter he'd ever shot next too :roll: He paid for some range time and ammo for me I helped him make that 1300.00 1911 shoot closer to its >2in potential instead of <2ft pattern. :wink:

As too the lack of skill being prevalent because people tried to supplement skill with equipment ......

Amen!!

NYCPD had a far better average when they where "handicapped" with revolvers and double barrel shotguns, both hit% and officer survival.
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
carry-a-big-stick
Silent But Deadly

Post by carry-a-big-stick »

I would have to dissagree that the 226 is not accurate. I have shot a 3.75 inch group at 50 yards with one. And it was a stock pistol with about 50,000 rounds through it.
If you have a gun addiction, working at a major gun manufacturing plant is a VERY BAD IDEA.
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

carry-a-big-stick wrote:I would have to dissagree that the 226 is not accurate. I have shot a 3.75 inch group at 50 yards with one. And it was a stock pistol with about 50,000 rounds through it.
You cant shoot that well.......... you own a 9mm....... you must be fuckin retarded with your spray and pray piece of crap, you want to be militant guy...... whats a matter u cant handle a real mans gun? :roll:
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
carry-a-big-stick
Silent But Deadly

Post by carry-a-big-stick »

hedonistic wrote:
carry-a-big-stick wrote:I would have to dissagree that the 226 is not accurate. I have shot a 3.75 inch group at 50 yards with one. And it was a stock pistol with about 50,000 rounds through it.
You cant shoot that well.......... you own a 9mm....... you must be fuckin retarded with your spray and pray piece of crap, you want to be militant guy...... whats a matter u cant handle a real mans gun? :roll:

lol :lol:
If you have a gun addiction, working at a major gun manufacturing plant is a VERY BAD IDEA.
cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

wow, i voted G17 a cpl weeks ago b/c i never shot the 226....was I wrong or what. Man the sig 226 is the fucking fire, i just wish i had a spare grand for it.

But in my hands I'd rather have the G19 (IMO G19>G17) over the sig 226 even if the sig was on sale for a 600.
Be kind to others and stay ready
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

OK... If the Glocks are supposed to be accurate.. Which one?

Will a G21 or the G19 be able to punch a 2.5" hole with 5 shots at 25 yards? (all INSIDE 3" circle)

Or is this out of the realm of the Glock

The Sig can do 2" at 50 yards (the big $ X5)

SO asking for less that 1/2 of that I thought MAY be fair to ask.

I'm being open minded enough to try one of these bricks. So I'm asking the expert here "Tmix" for his recommendation.

The store has a G21 SF and a 21C in .45 and I may just get a new G19 But I want a pistol that will shoot a decent group. I thought the 21C and get a std extended threaded barrel would work with the AAC-Evo45. Yet be nice for the O-Lady to shoot. having the ports.

The 21SF fits my hand a little better.

The G19 I can get a threaded barrel and use my Evo-9 But will it shoot a nice group?
Last edited by JohnInNH on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

JohnInNH wrote: The Sig can do 2" at 50 yards (the big $ X5)
2 inches at 50 yrds? I'd like to see that. I'd really really like to see that. Not saying i don't believe it...just saying i don't think it's possible. haha :lol:
cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

JohnInNH wrote:OK... If the Glocks are supposed to be accurate.. Which one?

Will a G21 or the G19 be able to punch a 2.5" hole with 5 shots at 25 yards? (all INSIDE 3" circle)
I got my G19 for SD and I freaking love it. I can easily hit a human sized torso from 25 yrds, 10 shots in about 7 seconds. That's all I need...for SD that is.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCa ... oductid=88

P226 X-Five
High Speed. No Drag. Only one pistol rivals the legendary P210 for accuracy and it’s called the X-Five. Capable of delivering under 2â€
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

hedonistic wrote:
JohnInNH wrote: Accuracy should come 1st THEN speed. That's what kept the gun slingers of yesteryear alive under pressure was making a good 1st shot.

As an instructor since 1977 I seriously feel the high capacity 9mm was the worst thing to happen for proficiency.
I will give you the the average high cap 9mm guy is the spray and pray type, but not all! Not too long ago I shot next to a well dressed gentleman in his 60s who was shooting a 1911 in the 1300.00 range with laser grips at 20 feet with a target that looks like my shotgun patterning at 50 yards. I took my little low cap 9mm a kahr (IMO the best type of pistol for a 9mm .380 size) and shot groups as fast as my friend at twice the distance and had a bad day, I could not cover 22 shots with my fist. This gentile man was still in the gun store as I walked out for more targets he loudly proclaimed me the best shooter he'd ever shot next too :roll: He paid for some range time and ammo for me I helped him make that 1300.00 1911 shoot closer to its >2in potential instead of <2ft pattern. :wink:
He'd have outshot me. I need to find somebody that will teach me how to shoot a pistol, I'm horrible at it.
cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

[quote="JohnInNH"]http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCa ... oductid=88

P226 X-Five
High Speed. No Drag. Only one pistol rivals the legendary P210 for accuracy and it’s called the X-Five. Capable of delivering under 2â€
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Just to set things straight, I am by no means an expert.

If you want an accurate 9mm, buy a model 17, 34, or 17L.
These models all function reliably with suppressors. However, you're desired accuracy with the suppressor might be a problem. (I don't know for sure, but I think the booster might cause problems, ask around.)
I know the I can hit a 3x5 index card at 20 yards, freehand, with my 34. Glocks are a little better than combat accurate. Comparing the 226 Xfive and the G19 is like comparing a indy 500 car and jeff gordon's stock car, both perform their desired functions very well, but you can't say one is better than the other. It all depends on what you want to do with the pistol. Figure that out and then make your decision.
Did you look at the price on the Xfive? $2700!!! For that much money, you could buy a 226, 3 glocks, and still have $325 left to buy spare mags.

I'd be willing to be that a G17 and STANDARD 226 would shoot about the same.

If you want a bullseye gun, buy a 1911.

Apples to apples.
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Are Glocks Really "safer"? long read

Post by JohnInNH »

See below for the DEA stats on last years shootings.
Lots of dogs shot, lots of AD's. A LONG read, but good info!
Observations? Lessons? Comment at will...

“Of the 10 unintentional discharges with handguns, 8 involved Glocks, 1 involved a Colt Commander, and 1 involved a Smith & Wesson revolver.â€
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Keep your finger off of the trigger!
[quote]“Of the 10 negligent discharges with handguns, 8 involved Glocks, 1 involved a Colt Commander, and 1 involved a Smith & Wesson revolver.â€
cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

tmix wrote: Don't blame the gun, blame the person with poor weapons handling skills. Glocks don't go off by themselves. You need a finger on the trigger to make that happen. Exactly, there's no 'ACCIDENT' with a Glock-but there's plenty of negligence. Finger off the trigger=firing pin block down.

Well, no s--t 8 out of 10 ND's involved a Glock. The G22 is the most commonly issued weapon for DEA. There are more G22s in the field than any other weapon.yep, overwhelmingly
Jonathan007
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonathan007 »

I voted for Sig over Glock but mainly for personal preference. They are both great guns and I have a lot of respect for Glock. In fact, my carry gun is a G27. But in terms of target shooting or potential duty carry, the 226 just feels so much better in my hand and the trigger pull is great. Glocks always seem mushy to me. Also, subjectively, Sigs seem to have much lighter recoil.

I do have a question for you though. Have you considered a 229? I own both a 226 and 229, and while I love my 226, I am often at a loss to explain to friends exactly what is so much better about it then the 229. Its almost the same gun in every way, except a bit of size. It seems to shoot exactly the same in my mind. Mag capacity seems to be the biggest stat.

Has anyone out there compared a 226 and a 229 side by side with the exact same silencer + ammo? Is there much of a sound difference?
AAC Pilot, EVO-9, EVO-40, SPR/M4 07, 762-SD 08
SWR Trident-9, Spectre
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

You know I don't think this has to be an either / or situation.

03 - 226 9mm; W. German stamped carbon steel slide, NAVY, non-rail 226-9
02 - 226 .40 S&W
02 - G19
01 - G30SF
01 - G26 (on order)
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I like them both. A P226 Navy is cool.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

f.2 wrote:You know I don't think this has to be an either / or situation.

03 - 226 9mm; W. German stamped carbon steel slide, NAVY, non-rail 226-9
02 - 226 .40 S&W
02 - G19
01 - G30SF
01 - G26 (on order)
I agree. I'm not saying that the Glock is the only handgun to buy. In my posts, I have simply pointed out the reasons that led to me being a Glock owner, as well as what kept me from buying a Sig.(mainly, cost.) Different people will like one vs. the other. I do have a problem with people bashing Glocks for whatever reasons they read about on the internet. :roll: The bottom line is that it's a proven weapon, like it or not. :roll:
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

rsilvers wrote:I like them both. A P226 Navy is cool.
These days the only difference between the 226 Navy and the normal 226 is the little anchor on the side of the gun. I believe the only Sig 226 Navy guns that are different (beyond the NSW serial, and the donation of the early model) are some UU serial number ones that have phosphated internals like the 220 Combat.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

To some the anchor means a whole lot more. Granted, it's not a "fouled" anchor. Btw, my 226 NAVY is NSW525 with phosphated internals.
PPGMD wrote:These days the only difference between the 226 Navy and the normal 226 is the little anchor on the side of the gun. I believe the only Sig 226 Navy guns that are different (beyond the NSW serial, and the donation of the early model) are some UU serial number ones that have phosphated internals like the 220 Combat.
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

f.2 wrote:To some the anchor means a whole lot more. Granted, it's not a "fouled" anchor. Btw, my 226 NAVY is NSW525 with phosphated internals.
Hmm it's reported that those aren't phosphated. I might have to take a look at the NSW one at my local gun shop then.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside