sound measurements

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jonharoy
Elite Member

sound measurements

Post by jonharoy »

Any one use the sound card on a PC to make measurements? Is it possible to make accurate measurements with the addition of a good mike? :?:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yes, it is possible. I did it. The proper mic will cost $800 or more. Also not all sound cards are good enough. You need to run a test signal through it into an oscilloscope to make sure it has a short enough rise time.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

Eventually when my suppresser is done I will be wanting to test it for performance. I take my laptop now for pressure and speed measurement.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

rsilvers wrote:Yes, it is possible. I did it. The proper mic will cost $800 or more. Also not all sound cards are good enough. You need to run a test signal through it into an oscilloscope to make sure it has a short enough rise time.
So which sound cards have passed the test?

And which Mic works correctly? or is this one the only one?
GRAS pressure measurement microphone model 40BP (Bruel & Kjaer model 4136 equivalent)
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »