.22 dedicated upper

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

.22 dedicated upper

Post by CZ-75 »

I have a Registered SBR RRA lower that has a 9mm hammer installed. Currently, I only use this rig in 9mm with a 5.5" TROS 3-lug barrel... But I'm contemplating a dedicated .22 upper that will have a short barrel (maybe 5 inches). The idea, is to mount a large volume suppressor which will give it the look of a 9mm SD, but shoot inexpensive .22 rounds.

A few questions:

1) Do any of the dedicated .22 uppers have the ability to use std AR handguards? I want to put a YHM tube on it so the suppressor will seat down into it.

2) Will any of the .22 uppers work with a 9mm hammer installed in the lower? Are there arny other changes to the lower required like weak springs, etc.?

3) Is there some sort of mag block, or are the mags such that they have the mag block built into them?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these 3 are the first three I could think of.

Thanks!
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

OK, lets try this....

Anyone who has a .22 upper, tell me about it... who made it? Do you like it or not?
usp45ss
Silent But Deadly

Post by usp45ss »

Your best bet will probably be to look into getting a new upper from Rick Kuehl at www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com . He is doing a new run of barrels that you can get in on. He will make a 5" barrel that you can put a free float tube around. If he gets mine done in a few days, I'll snap a pic for you. He uses a modified Ciener kit for the ar-15. The mags have a mag block built into them. It is the only one I know of that uses 30rd. mags. You shouldn't have to make any changes to the lower for it to work.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the 9mm hammer in your lower. Again, if I get my upper in a few days, I'll give it test run on my 9mm SBR lower and let you know if it works with the RRA hammer.

Hope this helps
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

Thanks!

Personally, I'm not a fan of supporting JAC by going with a Keuhl... He's such a prick, and a lot of his stuff doesn't even work. I'm sure Keuhl modifies them and makes them reliable, but a lot of JAC stuff is crap, and the guy is the biggest dick in the firearms industry.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Do search here
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/
and here
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

for more information about them
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

I think I'm going to go with the CZ V-22 upper. Anyone have any experience with them?

BTW, I've been lurking over at Rimfirecentral for quite a while.... just have not joined.
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

Well... maybe not. I just found out that the CZ V-22 is not made by the same CZ that made the CZ-75 and all the other really good firearms...

I was getting ready to get one just based on the CZ reputation. Now I'm back to square one. :cry:
dieselten
Silent But Deadly

Post by dieselten »

buy a DPMS M4 style dedicated 22 upper, put on any hand guard you want, cut the barrel and thread it

I have one and it runs great, I left the barrel at 16" and use my Warlock on it. I also added a free float handguard and folding front sight gas block.
Slick
Silent But Deadly

Post by Slick »

I'm using a flat top upper with a Kuehl 5" barrel/modified JAC kit on my M16. I use a Soundtech M2 .223 suppressor, which fits nicely into a standard alum carbine free-float tube.
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

I have 2 dedicated uppers, one I bored out a shot-out M16 barrel, and sleeved it with a .22 barrel liner, also boring the ciener adapter to accept it. The other is a Kuehl barrel, which works in a similar fashion. I have it at 5" under a YHM tube with a 1-1/2 in coaxial .22 can I built 6" long, super fun to shoot, out of all of my toys, this get shot far more than anything else!
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

CZ-75 wrote:Well... maybe not. I just found out that the CZ V-22 is not made by the same CZ that made the CZ-75 and all the other really good firearms...

I was getting ready to get one just based on the CZ reputation. Now I'm back to square one. :cry:
Stay away from the CZ v22. I'm kind of biased since I'm the one that designed it and CZ crewed me out of any royalities. They do have quality control issues with them and it is not the firearms division that makes them but a seperate divistion under the CZ name.
gunslingerdoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunslingerdoc »

I have a CLE built upper using the M-261 kit. Very accurate, limited to 10 rd. mags, but the inserts fit into a standard mag so there is no dicking around with adapters and I can use all my regular mag carrriers/etc. It is also SA only. I have also used the standard m-261 kit with a regular upper - both work fine but the CLE upper (16") is a work of art and more accurate (.5-1.0") at 50yards using an eotech off the bench.
Smooth is fast
CZ-75
Silent But Deadly

Post by CZ-75 »

Well... As much as I regret it... I ended up supporting JAC and got a custom upper from KKF that uses a Ciener kit and 3 30rd magaziines.