Benelli M4

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Benelli M4

Post by D9M9TR9S »

I've been wanting to get one for a while now and when I told my dealer he went in the back and pulled out an M1014 and let me hold it. Needless to say it was love at first sight :)
I really need a shotgun for home defense, I hear Benelli is the best, but could I get the same pleasure from an 870 or a Mossberg cruiser? Just curious if anyone has one and how they like it before I drop $2k on one. I can buy more nfa goodies with that kind of coin, but I think that M1014 is calling my name...
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

Look @ H&K 512. They are rare & pricey, but will appreciate in value.
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

Problem with an "M1014" is that the stocks are banned from import (so I've heard..) so they'll be pricey. You can get a base model M4 without the collapsible stock a bit cheaper, but like anything you can't import, the folder will probably appreciate as well.

That said, I've put hundreds of shells of various loads through M1014's in a day and it doesn't hiccup.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

I don't know what they are going for now but i picked up a factory 14 in sbs for $1600 with factory Collapsing stock.
Get one it's worth it! :wink:
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

A Benelli M4 is the combat shotgun, I was surprised first time I shot one that it is actually what it is supposed to be. Only thing I would give up my old reliable 1100 for.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

black-sheep wrote:I don't know what they are going for now but i picked up a factory 14 in sbs for $1600 with factory Collapsing stock.
Get one it's worth it! :wink:
WOW!!!! Where did you get one at that price for? I don't mind it being an SBS at all, makes it even more cooler imo. 8)
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I used to want one but the law prevents it from having a normal capacity magazine. They are plugged at 4 shells. I feel bad for Benelli since it is no their fault, but it makes it a nogo compared to a Remington or FN.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

I was under the impression they were only plugged for hunting. There are at least a couple 7 round magazine tube manufacturers for the M4..
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If a shotgun is not importable due to not being deemed having a 'sporting purpose' they cannot be modified to a non-importable configuration once they are in the US.

To make it legal, you must replace a lot of parts with US made parts. Companies make all of those parts for the Saiga-12 so it is doable but no one is making enough US parts for the Benelli AFAIK. Even if they did, would you really want to stick so many aftermarket parts into a Benelli?

Buy an older M1 Super 90, or an 870, or an FN SLP. I am really into 870s right now.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

Gotcha! Thanks Robert, didn't know that.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It is hard to expect anyone to know these things because they make no sense. Basically, it is illegal to import a gun designed for self-defense. It is only legal to import a gun designed for a sport such as target shooting or hunting. Are these laws themselves illegal? They may be.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

I've heard similar laws in reference to other guns, like SKS's...Wasn't aware it was as broad of a spectrum thing, thanks for filling me in.
Killer Instincts
Silent Operator

Post by Killer Instincts »

rsilvers wrote:If a shotgun is not importable due to not being deemed having a 'sporting purpose' they cannot be modified to a non-importable configuration once they are in the US.

To make it legal, you must replace a lot of parts with US made parts. Companies make all of those parts for the Saiga-12 so it is doable but no one is making enough US parts for the Benelli AFAIK. Even if they did, would you really want to stick so many aftermarket parts into a Benelli?

Buy an older M1 Super 90, or an 870, or an FN SLP. I am really into 870s right now.
There actually are manufacturers that make the requisite parts to create a legal weapon. Sorry, I can't remember names right now, but Google is your friend. Search SigForum, it's on there somewhere.

If memory serves, you need 9 US made parts to make it legal.
"You, my friend, are a highly educated and respected authority on all things frivolous." - my dad

Imagine there's no hippies.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

Killer Instincts wrote:If memory serves, you need 9 US made parts to make it legal.
So at that point would the magazine tube, follower, and spring each be considered a separate part?
benfranklin1787

Post by benfranklin1787 »

So you cant just buy the mag tube extension, that would be illegal?
"We're still relevant, we stay vigilante, and the lamestream media is right, you should fear me!"
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

benfranklin1787 wrote:So you cant just buy the mag tube extension, that would be illegal?
In trying to find an answer to my question, I've found about fifteen answers to yours. None of which are the same. Seems the M4 was not on the ATF's list of banned import firearms, so much confusion exists about the topic. 922r, however, refers to any non-sporting models (which include anything with a fixed mag over 5rd capacity)

Long story short, common consensus, as well as "I'm not sure, so I'll play it safe and keep myself out of jail" says that just the magazine tube or an extension would be illegal. Seems everyone out there interprets that differently, but that's what seems to be the larger number of opinions, as well as how I would personally interpret the law (having no legal authority in any way).

Next to that, though, if you replace the magazine tube entirely, it would only require two other parts be replaced with US made parts to make it legal. The M4 has 13 (some people say 11, I say assume 13 to be safe) imported parts, and to be legal it has to have 10 or fewer parts.

Here's a list of the imported parts on a stock M4:

1) Receiver
2) Barrel
3) Bolt
4) Bolt Carrier
5) Gas Piston
6) Trigger Housing
7) Trigger
8) Hammer
9) Disconnector
10) Buttstocks
11) Forearm
12) Magazine body
13) Followers

Replace any three of those and you're good to go. Magazine, follower, and the forearm would probably be the easiest/cheapest (without actually doing any price research).
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

A full one is illegal in CT due to the AWB as well. Can only have a 5 round internal magazine if you have a pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun. So I don't get to have one of these or an M2 unless I just want 5 rounds.
mhuffman
Silent But Deadly

Post by mhuffman »

My FN SLP (18") is pretty neat. It's accurate and fast and shoots any round I put in it.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Twinsen wrote:A full one is illegal in CT due to the AWB as well. Can only have a 5 round internal magazine if you have a pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun. So I don't get to have one of these or an M2 unless I just want 5 rounds.
Same in MA with unless it was made before 1994. The way to get the tube is to not use a pistol grip. I am comforted by the fact that the most winiest 3-gun shotguns are without pistol grip so perhaps pistol grips are not best.

I would rather have an FN SLP than an Benelli M4 with a 5 round limit. In fact I just cannot stomach the idea of having a tube that is plugged for no reason and just would not want it at all. Also I would not want to stick in aftermarket parts. So, if I got an M4 it would have to be an SBS.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

You can now buy full length ti hicap magazine tube and extensions for the M4
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

what is the barrel length on that? how does it run with light loads? ever any hiccups?
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

B&H Gun Rack has them listed as 14" barrels, assuming this is the same gun.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

I now have one ordered through cabelas.