45 acp loading HELP

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

45 acp loading HELP

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

i need load data for 230 gr ball

iam using clays i want a load thats going to cycle my usp with my evo on it i tried 4.8 gr and it worked but its a bit loud and i dont want any thing super sonic that will void my warrenty or hurt my can does any one know if 4.8 gr would be to much ?
jreinke

Post by jreinke »

The most recent Hogdon reloading manual I have is #26. It states that the max load for Clays with a 230 FMJ is 4.7 grains. It give the velocity with that load @ 874 fps with a pressure of 17,400 CUP. If you're going to use Clays, I'd back off to 4.7 grains. Personally, I'd go with another powder, like Unique or Power Pistol.

Jeff
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

On the Hodgdon site the MAX load for a 230 grain bullet is 4.0 grains, 732 FPS with a pressure of 17,000 CUP.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/45acp.php

Not the best powder choice IMHO.
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Is it possible to get 45acp supersonic and remain within the pressure limits?
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Its been awhile since I've reloaded but I used to use Bullseye and red dot a lot.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=101

I also used to use 200 LSWC in my 1911 for target shooting/plinking, can you use this type of load (cast lead) in a can? I'm guessing you can get a 1911 to cycle by changing the recoil spring but I'm not sure if thats even possible with HK.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

You would get lead buildup in the can using lead bullets.
bcorkery
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bcorkery »

1911pilot wrote:Is it possible to get 45acp supersonic and remain within the pressure limits?
Yes. Ramshot has a powder called "Enforcer" which will give you 1020-1050 fps within normal ranges (20k or so) from a 5" barrel. I have that load somewhere around here. It does had a bit of a flash, but is amazing in a carbine (at normal pressures, 1250 or so from a 16" barrel), although not supersonic. Ramshot doesn't have that listed in their manual any more (they have trimmed a lot) so I would call them to make sure that they haven't changed the powder.

For a normal pressure .45 ACP, I have used (and like, no love) Titegroup. Hogdon's extremely conservative max is 4.8 grains at 818 fps, but I have been using (and the Sierra manual is OK with) 5.2 grains at 850+ fps for years with amazing brass life, no pressure signs, mild report and recoil, and solid accuracy, as well as being frugal to load and burning cleanly (not as much as Clays, of course, but pretty clean). Works fine out of a carbine as well, staying subsonic, and very, very accurate.
bcorkery
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bcorkery »

1911pilot wrote:Its been awhile since I've reloaded but I used to use Bullseye and red dot a lot.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=101

I also used to use 200 LSWC in my 1911 for target shooting/plinking, can you use this type of load (cast lead) in a can? I'm guessing you can get a 1911 to cycle by changing the recoil spring but I'm not sure if thats even possible with HK.
You might try Precision Bullets. They are plastic-coated lead, kind of like the old Nyclads. No leading in most barrels. http://www.precisionbullets.com
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

Thanks! I'll be keeping that in mind for when I can get my stuff out of storage and start reloading again.

For target shooting I really love SWC and light loads, thats pretty much all I reload my handguns for (Or used to at least). I also love to load for hunting, until just recently it was the only way I could get good 45-70 loads for my Marlin.
bcorkery
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bcorkery »

1911pilot wrote:Thanks! I'll be keeping that in mind for when I can get my stuff out of storage and start reloading again.

For target shooting I really love SWC and light loads, thats pretty much all I reload my handguns for (Or used to at least). I also love to load for hunting, until just recently it was the only way I could get good 45-70 loads for my Marlin.
Titegroup makes light loads wonderfully simple. It is largely position-insensitive in the case which makes huge SDs from different powder charge burn speeds far, far less of an issue (and secondary explosions a non-issue), so you can use an itty-bitty charge and get slower speeds without a problem. It also exibits much less of a violently nonlinear pressure curve compared to most shotgun and shotgun-descended powders. My Sierra manual notes that revolver-only loads can go up to 6.4 graions and 1100 fps (!!). Of course, they mean new revolvers (not 90 year old Smiths) with a fitted cylinder, designed to normally shoot .454 Casull and .45 LC, but it is interesting that the brass is fine for that and that Titegroup doesn't do seriously weird things with the pressure.

That said, you can do this with Clays as well and it will be cleaner. As noted above, a 4.0 grain load gets you just over 700 fps, mild report, and so on.
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

yeah i should have bough tight group or somthing else but at the time i seen the light loading and though it would be great for a can but now that i acually have a can i guess iam screwed and have to use all this powder but this loading them 4.8 isnt bad at all