Collodion USP

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

dustdevil
Silent Operator

Collodion USP

Post by dustdevil »

Has anyone tried using Collodion, USP for reduced power loads. It is a nitrocellulose based liquid that drys to a film. I was thinking something along the lines of .308 or .223 subsonic rounds with this added after the powder charge to keep the powder from moving in the case. After drying seating the bullet.
jreinke

Post by jreinke »

Never heard of it, so I googled it. This is some NASTY s--t. I would play around with it if I were you. Here is a quote from the MSDS: DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LIVER, BLOOD, REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM.

Jeff
dustdevil
Silent Operator

Post by dustdevil »

MSDS's contain a wealth of information. It also lists every possible thing that can is harmful. What I was looking at was
Collodion
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Collodion is a solution of nitrocellulose in ether or acetone, sometimes with the addition of alcohols. Its generic name is pyroxylin solution. It is toxic and highly flammable. As the solvent evaporates, it dries to a celluloid-like film.

* Celloidin is a pure type of pyroxylin used to embed specimens which will be examined under a microscope. [1]

* It was used as a wound dressing, as an emulsion in some early photographic plates (the collodion process), and various other topical medications. One example, Compound W Wart Remover, still exists, consisting of acetic acid and salicylic acid in an acetone collodion base.

* Collodion was widely used to glue electrodes to the head for electroencephalography until the 1990s. It has been replaced by water-based gels in most uses to avoid the contact with acetone, which is not only contained in the glue but needed in quantity for electrode removal.

* Pyroxylin with added pigments is used as a nitrocellulose lacquer.

* It was also added to nitroglycerine to stabilise it as blasting gelatine.
* Collodion is also used in theatrical makeup for various effects, such as simulating old-age wrinkles or scars.
* Collodion also finds use in the cleaning of optics such as telescope mirrors. The collodion is applied to the surface of the optic, usually in two or more layers. Sometimes a piece of thin cloth is applied between the layers, to hold the collodion together for easy removal. After the collodion dries and forms a solid sheet covering the optic, it is carefully peeled away taking contamination with it.

So yes it is nasty but was wondering about using it to fix powder in reduced powder loads. I am fairly positive that it would affect burn rate. But, from everything I can find it is very clean burning. If I remember correctly something similiar is used in 120mm U.S. case material or the paint on the casing, forget which one.
jreinke

Post by jreinke »

I stand corrected! :oops: I didn't see that they were using it to glue eletrodes to you body, I guess it can't be that bad then. I'm sure you're right about it changing the burning rate of the powder.

Jeff
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Wonder if you could make your own. Acetone is a great solvent for powder. Take a bit of the powder you are using, and add enough acetone to make it sticky. Then add this mass to the top of your charge. Might be difficult to get an accurate charge though.

Actually I don't know if this would be a good idea or not. The acetone may alter or even eliminate the stabilizers in the powder. On second thought, forget about it.